MATH105 Quantitative Reasoning — Rick Barth

Registration: typically 30 Students (in spring 2020 there were 42 students)

In Spring 2020, I met with students by video during the first week to get acquainted and to demonstrate the software platforms and routines of the course, but otherwise I conducted this class entirely asynchronously. This was in part because the number of students in the class was quite large, and in part because I wanted to spend my time on other pedagogies. I prioritized my time to making 3-times-per-week video lectures and providing same-day feedback on student work, which was also due 3 times per week.

Student feedback from this course, as well as from other students who replied to the TLC student survey in 10th week leads me to plan for next spring to re-use some of the asynchronous content, update some asynchronous content but with less emphasis on synthesizing earlier material, and to add real-time group meetings with students in order to provide more support to students who didn’t get enough personal connection from the routine of submitting work and receiving quick personal feedback.

Workload in a typical week of MATH105

The content of this figure is repeated below in a form suitable for screen reader software.

Three weekly 40-minute group meetings with 10 students each. A single active learning plan to re-use in each group section during the week Through examples from current events, we’ll synthesize earlier weeks and make context for future weeks.

Monday

• post short recorded lecture
  • make a new assignment
  • grade Friday work
  • Meet Group A synchronously

Wednesday

• post short recorded lecture
  • make a new assignment
  • grade Monday work
  • Meet Group B synchronously

Friday

• post short recorded lecture
  • make a new assignment
  • grade Wednesday work
  • Meet Group C synchronously

The recorded lectures will be 10-15 minutes. The assignments will be designed so as to allow me to provide a quick turnaround—hopefully same-day.